Determination 2016/08: Members of Parliament – Travelling Allowance
Effective on and from 28 August 2016
- New domestic travelling allowance rates for Parliamentarians apply.
- New domestic travelling allowance rates in Canberra for Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 employees apply.
- Travelling Ministers and office holders will no longer be able to claim the additional $10 travelling allowance when accompanied by their spouses.
The Remuneration Tribunal made a new determination which updates the rates of domestic travelling allowance (TA) for Parliamentarians and is effective on and from 28 August 2016.
The principal changes in the determination include:
- an increase to the Canberra TA rate to $276 per overnight stay
- an increase to the daily expense allowance to $87 per day, for Parliamentarians from the Australian Capital Territory (and those from adjoining electorates who live within 30kilometres of Parliament House)
- an increase to the meals and incidentals allowance to $177 per day payable to Ministers and specified office holders in exceptional circumstances
- abolishing the additional $10 TA payment for travelling Ministers and office holders when accompanied by their spouses. This is in response to the Review Committee’s recommendations of An Independent Parliamentary Entitlements System.
The Canberra TA rate payable to Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 employees, which is linked to the Canberra TA rate payable to Parliamentarians, will also increase by $3 per overnight stay.
The current version of Parliamentarian’s Travel Declaration (Form 4) will remain on the website for 60 days following the changes and should be used for all travel undertaken prior to 28August2016. An updated version of the form, which reflects the changes contained in the new determination is also available for travel from and including 28 August 2016.
- Form 4 Parliamentarian’s Travel Declaration for travel prior to 28 August 2016
- Form 4 Parliamentarian’s Travel Declaration for travel from and including 28 August 2016
- Remuneration Tribunal Determination 2016/08: Members of Parliament – Travelling Allowance
- Senators and Members’ Travelling Allowance Rates
- Office Holders' Travelling Allowance Rates
Should you require any further information regarding TA, please contact your Ministerial and Parliamentary Services’ Entitlements Manager on the number below*.
26 August 2016
|*M&PS’ Entitlements Managers||Contact Number|
|Shane McGaughey (QLD & NT)||02 6215 3827|
|Lauren Barons (NSW & ACT)||02 6215 3426|
|Deesiree Kaufline (VIC & TAS)||02 6215 3640|
|Bernadette Levett (SA & WA)||02 6215 1415|