Travelling Allowance (TA)
A single flat rate of TA incorporating accommodation, meals and incidental expenses will be paid to an employee directed to travel on official business by their employing Senator or Member, where the travel requires an overnight stay away from the employee’s work base.
TA is only payable for travel that involves an overnight stay.
For TA purposes the capital city boundaries are as determined by the Remuneration Tribunal.
TA can be paid as an:
- advance [ - 33 KB] - a claim made prior to the completion of travel; or
- acquittal [ - 26 KB] - a claim made after the completion of travel.
- Search capital city boundaries
Rates of TA
TA rates are set by the Minister in accordance with rates determined from time to time by an independent organisation based on current market data.
For overnight stays in Canberra the rate:
- for senior staff is the Canberra rate of TA for Senators and Members, as determined from time to time by the Remuneration Tribunal; and
- for employees at the level of Adviser and below is $10 less than the Canberra rate of TA for Senators and Members, as determined from time to time by the Remuneration Tribunal.
- View Rates of Travelling Allowance per Overnight Stay
Employees will be paid MVA when directed by their employing Senator or Member to travel using their privately owned vehicle or a self-drive hire vehicle, at their own expense, for the purpose of official business where it will result in greater efficiency or involves less expense.
The Senator or Member must authorise the use of a private vehicle for the purpose of official business in advance of travel. Where it is not possible to complete a claim form in advance of the travel, verbal or written authorisation should be obtained and subsequently documented in the claim form.
The rate of MVA is determined by an independent organisation from time to time, based on current market data.
From 1 March 2015, the rate of MVA will be:
|Engine Capacity of Vehicle||Rate / Cents per Kilometre|
|Above 2600cc||78 cents|
|1601cc to 2600cc||77 cents|
|1600cc and under||64 cents|