Senators and Members are entitled to travel within Australia at Australian Government expense for certain purposes. Senators and Members are responsible for ensuring that any travel at Australian Government expense is undertaken in accordance with their entitlements, i.e., in most circumstances only for Parliamentary, electorate or official business, but not party business.1

Senators and Members’ travel entitlements are determined primarily by two Remuneration Tribunal Determinations: Determination 2012/04 ‑ Members of Parliament – Entitlements and Determination 2014/16 ‑ Members of Parliament - Travelling Allowance. A copy of each Determination can be found on the Remuneration Tribunal’s website External Site.

4.1.1  Reporting the use of Travel Entitlements

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services provides a monthly management report to all Senators and Members, detailing the use of travel entitlements.  Senators and Members are encouraged to check the accuracy of each monthly management report as it is received to ensure that the use of travel entitlements by themselves, their family members and their employees has been in accordance with the relevant entitlements.

Every six months, Senators and Members are provided with a report of their own expenditure on entitlements (including travel by themselves and their family members) that is published on the Finance website External Site. Senators and Members are requested to check the information provided in the report and advise Ministerial and Parliamentary Services of any changes. They are also asked to certify that their use of entitlements has been in accordance with the use provisions legislated for each respective entitlement.

4.1.2  Travel Declaration Form (Form 4)

A Senator or Member wishing to claim travelling allowance and/or private vehicle allowance is required to submit details on a Travel Declaration form for each occasion that he or she travels at Australian Government expense.

Copies of the Travel Declaration form are available to Senators, Members and their employees from the Ministerial and Parliamentary Services website. Senators and Members are requested to forward receipts along with Travel Declaration forms where travelling allowance is claimed for accommodation at commercial rates, or, alternatively, retain receipts so that they can be produced on request. Travelling allowance is discussed further in section 4.8.

Back to top


1  Section 4 of, and item 8 of Part 1 of Schedule 1 to, the Parliamentary Entitlements Act 1990 and Remuneration Tribunal Determinations 2012/04 and 2014/16.


© Commonwealth of Australia 2010 | ABN 61970 632 495
Last Modified: 17 February, 2015