WHS Committee Meeting 18 August 2017

Present:

Name Representing
Josh Manuatu Liberal Party of Australia
Melanie Beaumont Liberal Party of Australia
Ellie Whiteaker (phone) Australian Labor Party
Christine Field (phone) Australian Labor Party
Simon Kelly (phone) The Nationals
Kristian Nelson Independents
Felicity Redfern Office of the Special Minister of State
Kim Travers CPSU
Marg Emerton Ministerial and Parliamentary Services, Department of Finance
Bek Bjarnadottir Ministerial and Parliamentary Services, Department of Finance

Apologies:

Name Representing
Helen Lewis Liberal Party of Australia
Joseph Wheeler The Australian Greens
Craig Brown ASU

 

Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 10:05 am
Meeting facilitator: Bek Bjarnadottir
Meeting closed: 10:45 pm

1. Welcome and apologies

Ms Bjarnadottir welcomed the members of the committee and noted apologies.

2. Actions arising from previous meeting

Finance to liaise with the facilitator of the SAO training to discuss the content and possible dates for delivery.
Completed, SAO training delivered on 18 August 2017.

Finance to circulate draft SAO training materials to HSRs for consultation.
Completed, Ms Bjarnadottir noted no response from HSRs with feedback. Mr Manuatu advised the HSRs from the Liberal Party of Australia put together feedback that has not yet been provided to Finance.

  • Action Item:
    HSRs from the Liberal Party of Australia to provide feedback on SAO training material to Finance.

Department to prioritise confirming the current status of minor hazards so that reported hazards that have been controlled can be closed.
Ms Bjarnadottir advised this work has commenced and Finance has removed over 30 minor hazards from the hazard register from the last meeting to date.

Department to discuss the emergency management plan for Mr Nelson’s building with the building manager to confirm that there are designated floor wardens for each storey of the building.
Ms Bjarnadottir advised that these enquiries are continuing. Mr Nelson also mentioned the need to review the office’s emergency evacuation plan due to a number of anomalies.

  • Action Item:
    Finance to continue enquiries regarding floor wardens, and request review of the emergency evacuation plan for the office of Senator Derryn Hinch.

Finance to advise current vacancies to

  • HSRs from relevant work groups
  • the offices of the Chief Government Whip, the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of The Australian Greens

Ms Bjarnadottir advised the current vacancies in each work group for HSRs and Deputy HSRs. Ms Bjarnadottir advised if the HSRs agreed with these lists she would arrange communication of the vacancies to be delivered to the relevant offices.

  • Action Item:
    Finance to communicate with the offices of the Chief Government Whip, the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of The Australian Greens regarding vacancies for HSRs and Deputy HSRs.

Finance to identify appropriate domestic violence referral services for inclusion on the M&PS website.

Ms Bjarnadottir advised M&PS has identified a national domestic violence referral service however, as the M&PS website is currently going through a refurbishment the details have not yet been added to the website.

  • Action Item:
    Details of referral service to be listed on the M&PS website once refurbishment has been completed.

3. WHS Report

The WHS report for the period 1 April 2017 to 30 June 2017 was provided to HSRs prior to the meeting for review. Ms Bjarnadottir welcomed any queries related to the report.   

Mr Manuatu raised the issue of WHS site officers at Parliament House sharing responsibility for several offices within their workgroup.

  • Action Item:
    Finance to analyse the number and location of trained WHS Site Officers within APH and the location of nearby offices within the same work group. Finance will then contact WHS Site Officers within APH, proposing that they consult with certain identified offices without a WHS Site Officer regarding taking on responsibility for conducting quarterly hazard inspections within those offices.

4. Nomination of HSRs and Deputies

Ms Bjarnadottir read out the current HSR vacancies and will provide the details of vacant HSR and Deputy HSR positions to the relevant offices.

5. Other business

No other business was noted.

6. Next Meeting

The Committee agreed that the next meeting will be held at Parliament House at 10:00am AEST on Friday 1 December 2017.

 

Action Items

Name Representing
HSRs from the Liberal Party of Australia to provide feedback on SAO training material to Finance → Completed 21 August 2017
Finance to continue enquiries regarding floor wardens, and request review of the emergency evacuation plan for the office of Senator Derryn Hinch → In progress
Finance to communicate with the offices of the Chief Government Whip, the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of The Australian Greens regarding vacancies for HSRs and Deputy HSRs → In progress
Details of referral service to be listed on the M&PS website once refurbishment has been completed → In progress
Finance to analyse the number and location of trained WHS Site Officers within APH and the location of nearby offices within the same work group. Finance will then contact WHS Site Officers within APH, proposing that they consult with certain identified offices without a WHS Site Officer regarding taking on responsibility for conducting quarterly hazard inspections within those offices