Territory Senators Retiring or Not Re-elected - Half Senate Election

Cessation Checklist

Cessation Checklist
Who can I talk to about my remuneration and any resettlement allowance?

The Department of the Senate is responsible for the payment of your salary, electorate allowance and any resettlement allowance.

M&PS can assist you in relation to private-plated vehicles and residential internet and telephone services. Please contact your State or Territory Manager for further assistance.

Who can I talk to about my Superannuation?

The Parliamentary Superannuation Team in the Department of Finance is available to give members of the Parliamentary Contributory Superannuation Scheme information on their superannuation.

If you joined Parliament after 9 October 2004 will need to contact your nominated superannuation provider.

What happens to my private-plated vehicle?

If there is any damage to your vehicle, however minor, please ensure that it is repaired now by contacting the sgfleet 24 hours helpdesk on 1800 009 082. In particular, check for any damage to the roof such as hail marks. Often the cost of these repairs is covered by ComCover, and any excess or charges not covered by insurance are invoiced to M&PS.

If you are not re-elected, your Territory Manager will discuss arrangements for your vehicle to be collected or dropped off to ensure that you do not personally incur any lease or fuel costs. Please make sure all keys, fuel cards, car manual and other accessories are left in the vehicle, and that it is returned in a clean, sound, and serviceable condition.

The actions above help avoid additional charges from the fleet provider for unreasonable wear and tear.

Can I buy my private-plated vehicle?

Yes, but only if the lease has expired or is due to expire shortly.

If you are considering purchasing your vehicle, please contact the M&PS VIP manager as early as possible on 03 6242 2101 or email MPSVIP@sgfleet.com. Any purchase of a vehicle is a private arrangement between you and the lease provider, with payment made directly to the provider. Please be aware that there may be costs involved with the purchase, such as inspection fees, transfer, registration and duty fees, which must be met at your personal expense.

In the event that you decide to purchase your vehicle and arrangements are not finalised by the end of the lease or the end of your term, you must return the vehicle to M&PS until the sale is finalised. Personal arrangements must be made for vehicle insurance once the purchase is finalised, to take effect from the date of collection.

Fuel cards cannot be used for further purchases and must be returned with the vehicle or given to your Territory Manager.

What happens to my residential internet and telephone services?

If the service account is in your name, no action is required.

If the account is in M&PS’ name, arrangements will be made for the transfer of the account to you from the date of:

  1. the day before polling day for a Territory Senator seeking re-election.
  2. the dissolution of the House of Representatives for a Territory Senator not seeking re-election.

You can discuss these arrangements with your Territory Office.

Annual Budget for Office Expenses
Can I send out a “farewell” newsletter after the election is called?

No. You must ensure that any “farewell” letter or newsletter is printed and distributed prior to your term ceasing. For a Territory Senator who is not re-elected, your term ends at the end of the day before polling day. The final day of your term is the last day that the annual budget for office expenses can be accessed.

If you have ordered, but not taken delivery of any printed items at the close of the day before polling day, you will need to cancel the order, if possible. If a final printed product is received on or after the date of the Federal election, the Commonwealth is unable to meet the cost and the invoice will be returned to you for payment.

In the case of a Territory Senator who is not re-elected, the last date that the office annual budget for office expenses can be accessed is the day before polling day.

What should I do with my remaining letterhead and other personalised stationery?

As you are unable to use this stationery, the contracted property service provider can provide secure/confidential bins on request for the disposal of these items.

What should I do with any remaining flags and other nationhood material?

Remaining stocks must remain in the office. Flags and constituent request items are purchased at Commonwealth expense and provided for parliamentary business.

Invoices for flags and other nationhood material ordered after polling day will be forwarded to you for payment.

What should I do with any remaining office stationery and supplies?

Remaining stocks, including toner and printer cartridges and blank paper supplies, must remain in the office (office stationery and supplies are purchased at Commonwealth expense, and are provided for parliamentary business).

Invoices for office stationery and supplies ordered after polling day will be forwarded to you for payment.

Do I need to cancel the delivery of newspapers and subscription services to electronic publications?

Yes. If you wish to continue receiving any newspapers or maintain subscription services, please arrange to make payment personally.

If you wish to cancel the service, please advise your supplier as soon as possible after the declaration of the poll.

What happens to my Australia Post account and to the funds on my postage meter?

The Australia Post account is a personal arrangement, and if you wish to close this account you should contact Australia Post directly.

Access to funds available on your postage meter will be removed when your access to public resources ceases.

Can I keep my PO Box number?

No. The PO Box number will be retained by M&PS.

If you wish to have your mail redirected, you will need to make arrangements directly with Australia Post at your own expense.

Do I need to close my Commonwealth-funded website?

Yes, this should be closed as soon as practical.

Office Accommodation and Resources
What do I need to do in my electorate office?

Your Territory Manager can provide assistance with relocating effects (other than Commonwealth-owned items) from the electorate office and general advice on vacating the office. Boxes can be provided for you to pack effects, and a one-off removal of your items and papers to your private residence (or other place) can be arranged. You will need to meet costs of insurance of personal items, including during transit.

It is recommended that you commence clearing your office as early as practical to ensure it is handed over to M&PS in good condition.

The contracted property services provider can provide additional general rubbish/recycling bins and secure/confidential bins for this purpose. An office handover and stock-take will be conducted by M&PS prior to your retirement. All Commonwealth owned assets that may be off-site, including cameras and digital/video equipment, must be returned to the office.

As office stationery and supplies, minor office equipment and accessories for ICT are purchased at Commonwealth expense, and are provided for parliamentary business, items must remain in the office.

During the office handover, all keys to the electorate office, PO Box (if applicable) and security passes must be returned to M&PS.

Please contact the Department of Parliamentary Services, 2020 Service Desk regarding the return of Commonwealth-funded mobile ICT equipment (other than any equipment directly leased or hired by you). These items may also be provided to M&PS at the handover for return to DPS.

You should ensure procedures for clearing out the office do not introduce risks to the health and safety of employees or volunteers, particularly with regard to manual handling.

What do I need to do in my Parliament House office?

You can contact the Department of the Senate regarding the removal of your items from your Parliament House office.

Which records should be kept and/or destroyed?

The National Archives of Australia (NAA) provides advice to Senators and Members on the preservation, storage and disposal of records.

When do I need to vacate my electorate office?

A defeated Territory Senator must vacate their electorate office as soon as practical on or after polling day.

Prior to that date, you should ensure that all affairs have been finalised, including removal of records and personal effects.

When do I need to vacate my ministerial or senior office holder office?

You need to vacate the office provided to you as a Minister or senior office holder (where relevant) at, or as soon as practical after, the time that you cease to hold that office.

ICT Equipment

All queries regarding Commonwealth-funded office and mobile ICT equipment should be directed to the Department of Parliamentary Services, 2020 Service Desk.

Do my employees cease employment at the same time that I cease to be a Senator?

For electorate employees of a retiring or defeated Territory Senator (other than Senators who also hold an office), the following arrangements apply:

Employment Category Employment
Ongoing employees Until the declaration of the poll.
Non-ongoing employees Employment will cease at the earlier of:
  • the end of their current employment agreement, or
  • the declaration of the poll.
Casual employees Employment will cease at the earlier of:
  • the end of a working day prior to a business day on which the employee does not work, or
  • the end of their current employment agreement, or
  • the declaration of the poll.

During this period, employees may assist you to finalise your affairs in the electorate office.

For personal employees or employees of a Senator who also holds an office, M&PS will write to employees separately regarding their individual circumstances.

For further information, please contact the Staff Help Desk or view the information available in the MOP(S) Act Employees Q&As.

Can I direct my staff to travel after the expiration of my term?

No. Staff travel must be completed on or before the date your term expires.

An employee of a Territory Senator may seek approval to travel between polling day and the declaration of the poll in limited and special circumstances (for example, to assist with the packing up of the Parliament House office).

Approval is required from your Advice and Support Director prior to travel taking place.

Can I employ relief or other staff after the expiration of my term to help with packing up the office?

No. Once your term as a Senator has expired, you are no longer able to employ staff under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984.

For Territory Senators whose staff continue until the declaration of the poll, you are unable to engage new staff or make changes to arrangements for existing staff from polling day. Only staff who were engaged and commenced with you prior to polling day may assist with packing up the office.