Employee Assistance Program

A number of support services are available for MOP(S) Act employees, their immediate families, and managers to assist with health and wellbeing or management issues.

What is the EAP?

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is an independent professional counselling service that can provide you with assistance in dealing with work and life issues including:

  • career development
  • childcare and parenting issues
  • drug and alcohol problems
  • relationships
  • work related problems
  • emotional wellbeing
  • depression.

All counselling services are totally voluntary and confidential (subject to the exceptions listed below). The EAP is delivered by Davidson Trahaire Corpsych (DTC), a national corporate psychology and human resources consulting firm.

Is the service confidential?

Generally, all EAP counselling services are confidential. No identifying information is provided to Ministerial and Parliamentary Services, your employing Senator or Member or your colleagues unless you request it.

The exceptions to this are:

  • with consent by the client
  • where there is a risk to the safety of the client or others
  • to comply with statutory duties (for example mandatory reporting), or
  • to comply with a court order or subpoena.

Does it cost to use the EAP?

DTC provides free, confidential and independent counselling services across Australia that can be accessed for personal or work related issues. Employees and their immediate family and/or household members may access up to three free counselling sessions each in a 12 month period. If DTC recommends additional EAP counselling, it will seek agreement from the relevant Ministerial and Parliamentary Services Advice and Support Director. When seeking the Advice and Support Director’s agreement, DTC has regard to the privacy of the employee.

Who can access the EAP?

The EAP is available for all MOP(S) Act employees and their immediate family and/or household members. Senators and Members can request the Additional Services shown below by contacting their Advice and Support Director.

How do I access the EAP?

By contacting DTC for an appointment with a counsellor. DTC are contactable 24 hours per day, 7 days per week to schedule an appointment.

What is eapdirect™?

eapdirect™ is an easy to use online resource that offers online counselling, self-assessment tools and concise, user-friendly information across a range of topics.

How do I access eapdirect™?

By following the steps set out in the monthly EAP email from Ministerial and Parliamentary Services.

The eapdirect™ User Guide also provides additional information on accessing eapdirect™.

Do I need to inform my employer or office manager when using the EAP?

The EAP is a confidential service and there is no requirement to tell your employer or office manager that you are using the EAP. However, if you have an appointment during work hours you are required to advise your employer that you will be out of the office. Employees may use personal or annual leave to attend EAP appointments.

Additional services

Parliamentarians and those MOP(S) Act employees with management responsibilities within their workplace can access DTC’s  managerAssist® service for confidential telephone advice on how to deal effectively with workplace issues such as performance management, conflict, communication, and individual or team behaviours.

Advice and Support Director may request DTC to provide any of the following additional services:

  • traumaAssist®: on-site support, coaching and risk management following a traumatic or critical incident affecting the workplace
  • conflict@work® services: advice, mediation, training, coaching or conflict resolution services, to deal with conflict within the workplace
  • advice, mediation, training, coaching or conflict resolution services, to deal with conflict within the workplace.

Does it cost to use these services?

There is no cost to the employing Senator or Member, employee or the office budget to access these services.

How do I request additional services?

In the first instance, issues should be discussed with your Advice and Support Director who will arrange the appropriate services with DTC, if necessary.