Commencement of the Parliamentary Injury Compensation Scheme

Parliamentarians are now covered for injuries or diseases suffered in connection with their official activities that occurred on or after 1 January 2016. The scheme is, as much as possible, equivalent to the compensation arrangements available to Commonwealth employees. The Parliamentary Injury Compensation Scheme Instrument 2016 that prescribes the scheme’s benefits is available at

If you suffer an injury or disease, or aggravate a pre-existing injury or disease, in connection with your official activities you should in the first instance seek any medical attention necessary. In order to be eligible to make a compensation claim, the scheme requires that you notify Comcare in writing as soon as practicable after you become aware of the injury or disease.

If you are unsure whether you need to lodge a compensation claim in respect of the injury or disease, you can notify Comcare by emailing the following information:

  • your name and contact details
  • the date, time and place that your injury or disease occurred
  • what you were doing when the injury or disease occurred
  • how the injury or disease occurred.

To lodge a claim for compensation, such as for medical expenses, you will need to:

  • see a medical practitioner and request that he or she complete a Certificate of Capacity form (which is available from Comcare's website) relating to your injury or disease
  • keep a record of all medical treatment for your injury or disease, including payments made and receipts
  • contact Comcare’s PICS help line.

If you have any questions or require any further information about how to report an injury or disease or how to make a claim under the scheme, please contact Comcare’s PICS help line.


Jason Ford
Assistant Secretary
Entitlements Management Branch
Ministerial and Parliamentary Services
23 May 2016