Amendments have been made to the Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations 2017.
Effective from 23 February 2019, the parliamentary business resources framework:
- no longer provides for the Canberra daily allowance
- enables members to use office expenses to pay for the production of content for broadcast on television or radio, and
- extends the satellite office provision, with the Special Minister of State’s approval, to a member of the House of Representatives representing an electorate with an area of at least 3,500km2 but less than 5,000km2.
With effect from 23 February 2019, the Parliamentary Business Resources Amendment (2019 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2019 amended the Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations 2017.
Specifically, the amending regulations:
- abolished the Canberra daily allowance, in accordance with a recommendation of the Remuneration Tribunal
- removed a previous restriction preventing members from using office expenses to pay for the production of content for broadcast on television or radio
- amended provisions relating to satellite electorate office expenses, including:
(a) extending the provision, with the Special Minister of State’s approval, to members of the House of Representatives representing electorates with an area of at least 3,500km2 but less than 5,000km2. Eligible members will be able to be reimbursed up to $50,950 per year (GST inclusive) in 2018–19 (indexed annually) for lease and other operating costs of that office, and
(b) reducing the minimum term that a member must lease an office in order to claim eligible expenses, from six months to three months. This applies to both existing and future leases.
The amending regulations also made several minor technical amendments.
In accessing work expenses, members are reminded of their obligations under the Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017, including the dominant purpose and value for money tests. Guidance on the Ministerial and Parliamentary Services website will be updated shortly to reflect the amendments, including enhanced guidance relating to the use of office expenses.
Should you require further information regarding non travel-related work expenses, please contact your Ministerial and Parliamentary Services’ Advice and Support Director on the number below*.
The Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority should be contacted regarding travel-related work expenses on (02) 6215 3000 or email@example.com.
Policy, People and Programs Branch
Ministerial and Parliamentary Services
27 February 2019
|* Advice and Support Directors||State and Territory||Contact Number|
|Donna Fiveash (A/g)||ACT, NSW||02 6215 3426|
|Daniel Collet (A/g)||QLD, WA||02 6215 1373|
|Deesiree Kaufline||NT, SA||02 6215 3640|
|Shane McGaughey||TAS, VIC||02 6215 3827|