Skip to main content

WHS Advice : Bushfires and novel coronavirus

Bushfire advice

Further to recent advice regarding ongoing bushfire and associated air quality concerns, Comcare has issued further advice: Bushfire: work health and safety which provides updated information regarding the following:

  • Working indoors
  • Working outdoors
  • Working in bushfire recovery
  • Claims: working in bushfire recovery
  • Monitoring air quality
  • Mental health and wellbeing
  • Asbestos

As previously advised, if you experience any symptoms or discomfort due to air quality, you are encouraged to seek medical advice and discuss this with your manager. It may be appropriate to work from an alternate location or if required, take leave provided for under the enterprise agreement.

The contracted property services provider, JLL, can be contacted for any air quality issues on 1300 652 114 or via the Corrigo Customer Portal.  

Additional Information

You are reminded to follow the advice provided by your relevant state or territory authority.

Australian Capital Territory





Northern Territory


New South Wales



Western Australia

South Australia



Novel coronavirus advice


You may be aware there have now been a small number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases within Australia. The novel coronavirus is a contagious respiratory illness currently affecting multiple countries.


The current advice from the Department of Health is:

  • People who have been in contact with confirmed novel coronavirus cases must be isolated in their home for 14 days following last contact with the confirmed case.
  • Returned travellers who have been in Hubei Province of China must be isolated in their home for 14 days after leaving Hubei Province.
  • People who have left, or transited through, mainland China on or after 1 February 2020 must isolate themselves for 14 days after leaving China.
  • If you become unwell and suspect you may have symptoms of coronavirus, you must seek medical attention. Ring ahead of time to book your appointment. This will help make your doctor aware of your symptoms and your travel history or recent close contact.

Further information can be obtained from Department of Health’s website or the World Health Organisation website.

If you need support, the Employee Assistance Program has professional psychologists you and your family can talk to. This is a free and confidential service. For appointments contact Assure Services on 1800 945 145, book online at EAP Appointment Request or email

For further information please contact Ministerial and Parliamentary Services:

Parliamentarians’ Help Desk:

02 6215 3542

Staff Help Desk (MOP(S) Act Employees):

02 6215 3333


Ministerial and Parliamentary Services


Last updated: 02 April 2020