Ministerial and Parliamentary Services, a division in the Department of Finance (referred to throughout this handbook as ‘Ministerial and Parliamentary Services’), has prepared this handbook. It has done so as a guide for the following Opposition Office Holders:
- the Leader of the Opposition
- the Deputy Leader of the Opposition
- the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate
- the Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Senate.
This handbook summarises the resources provided to an Opposition Office Holder in addition to, or in substitution for, those provided to a Senator or Member. Generally, only the specific resources available to an Opposition Office Holder are provided in this handbook, but in some cases, the total resources available to an Opposition Office Holder (that is, as an Opposition Office Holder and as a Senator or Member) are outlined.
This handbook complements the Senators and Members’ handbook prepared by Ministerial and Parliamentary Services and other information issued by the Department of the Senate, the Department of the House of Representatives and the Department of Parliamentary Services.
The additional resources available to Opposition Office Holders are provided by decisions of the Government, determinations of the Remuneration Tribunal and by the following legislation:
- Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984
- Parliamentary Allowances Act 1952
- Parliamentary Entitlements Act 1990
- Parliamentary Entitlements Regulations 1997.
The relevant Remuneration Tribunal determinations are listed on Parliamentary Legislative Framework.