4.1 Travel in Australia

4.1 Travel in Australia by Senators and Members

Senators and Members may travel within Australia at Commonwealth expense for certain purposes. Senators and Members are responsible for ensuring that any travel at Commonwealth expense is undertaken in accordance with the provisions of the relevant legislation, that is, in most circumstances only for Parliamentary, electorate or official business, but not party business.1

Senators and Members’ eligibility to travel is determined primarily by Remuneration Tribunal Determination 2012/04 ‑ Members of Parliament – Entitlements and Remuneration Tribunal Determination 2016/08 ‑ Members of Parliament – Travelling Allowance. A copy of each Determination can be found on the Remuneration Tribunal’s website.

4.1.1 Reporting Travel Expenses

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services provides a monthly management report to all Senators and Members, detailing their travel expenses. Senators and Members are encouraged to check the accuracy of each monthly management report as it is received to ensure that travel at Commonwealth expense by themselves, their family members and their employees has been in accordance with the relevant provisions.

Every six months, Senators and Members are provided with a report of their work expenditure (including travel by themselves and their family members). Senators and Members are requested to check the information provided in the report and advise Ministerial and Parliamentary Services of any changes. They are also asked to certify that their claims have been in accordance with the provisions legislated for each respective work expense. This information is published on the Parliamentarians’ Reporting page of the Finance website.

4.1.2 Travel Declaration Form (Form 4)

A Senator or Member wishing to claim travelling allowance and/or private vehicle allowance is required to submit details on a Travel Declaration form for each occasion that he or she travels at Australian Government expense.

Senators and Members are requested to forward receipts along with Travel Declaration forms where travelling allowance is claimed for accommodation at commercial rates, or, alternatively, retain receipts so that they can be produced on request.


1  Section 4 of, and item 8 of Part 1 of Schedule 1 to, the Parliamentary Entitlements Act 1990 and Remuneration Tribunal Determinations 2012/04 and 2016/08.