Who is the course for?
Office staff who work with members of the public.
About this course
This course will help you identify and develop skills to deal with mental health incidents, build resilience and a supportive team environment to provide the best support for members of the office and the public.
What you will learn
Throughout the session, you will:
- understand common psychosocial characteristics you may encounter when dealing with constituents
- recognise early warning signs and manage threats safely
- recognise impacts on mental health
- apply practical interventions and access support services, strategies and tools to assist all stakeholders
How the course is delivered
This course can be accessed through the MOP(S) Employee PDP channel on GoTo. A copy of the presentation is below, and a few handouts mentioned during the session:
- Effective Constituent Management presentation
- Emotional intelligence overview and self-assessment
- The principles of quality customer service
- Black Dog Institute mental health toolkit 2017
- A guide for dealing with suicidal threats
- De-escalating an argument (video)
At a later date, when social distancing restrictions are lifted, we will run face-to-face sessions across the country.
Eligibility to attend
All MOP(S) Act employees.
Free. This course is offered as part of the Professional Development Program (PDP), under the Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019.