Who is the course for?
MOP(S) Act employees looking for practical tips and advice on how to de-escalate situations. Particularly those who work in a customer service or front of house role that deal with constituents and members of the public.
About this course
For most people, difficult interactions are a part of daily life and can be a major source of stress. At times, they can seem unavoidable, impossible and debilitating.
This intensive course focuses on providing fundamental skills for dealing with people in distress to make these interactions easier on everyone involved and promote positive outcomes.
This course will cover the following topics:
- The helping relationship
- Communication and listening skills
- Boundary and limit setting
- Dealing with people in crisis
- Self-care and debriefing
How the course is delivered
This course will run on Thursday, 20 August 2020 from 1:00pm to 5:00pm AEST and will be delivered as an online workshop via GovTEAMS by Lifeline Canberra.
Participants will leave with practical tips and be competent in:
- Understanding effective communication skills
- Effective use of communication skills to establish rapport
- Applying communication skills to reduce distress and de-escalate.
This course is available to all MOP(S) Act employees and is provided as part of the Professional Development Program.
Free and places for this session are limited.
Courses offered as part of the Professional Development Program (PDP), under the Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019, are provided free of charge.
Due to high demand, this course is currently full. If you’d like to be placed on a waiting list, you can still register.
- To register, complete the registration details and click on the ‘submit registration’ button
- Your registration will be confirmed by email
- For enquires regarding the session, email MOPSTraining@finance.gov.au