Mobile office signage, facilities and equipment
The Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 imposes overarching obligations.
The dominant purpose and value for money tests and specified conditions must be met. See s25, 26, 27, 28.
The Commonwealth is not liable to pay an expense or provide a public resource where you contravene any of these obligations (s29, PBR Act).
For the conduct of your parliamentary business, and subject to the limit of your annual budget for office expenses, you may claim costs for mobile office signage, facilities and equipment, such as marquees and exhibition booths.
Claims for mobile office signage, facilities and equipment are subject to:
- your overarching obligations that the expenditure must be for the dominant purpose of parliamentary business (and not for the dominant purpose of providing personal benefit to, or pursuing the commercial purposes of, yourself or another person) and achieve value for money, and
- the specific restrictions under s66 of the Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations 2017 that the item claimed must not solicit a vote for another person, solicit financial or non-financial support or party memberships, nor include an advertisement pursuing a commercial purpose (see Office expenses – restrictions for detailed information).
Mobile office signage:
Signage for a mobile office is provided at Commonwealth expense for the purpose of identifying or directing constituents to the mobile office location.
It is expected that you would only purchase the quantity of signage that is adequate to achieve this purpose.
Mobile office signage:
- may include wording, symbols and/or artwork for the purpose of identifying or directing constituents to the mobile office location
- must not contain issues-based or election campaign material (for example, ‘Say Yes/No to [Issue]’ or ‘Vote for [Name of member]’). The inclusion of a general, high-level statement, such as ‘Working Hard for [Name of Electorate]’, is acceptable
- must conform to the terms of any local government requirements regarding placement and construction, and
- must be easily movable, such as an A-frame or pull-up banner. It does not extend to fixed billboards or signs that are incorporated into fixed structures.
Mobile office facilities and equipment
Mobile office facilities are provided at Commonwealth expense to assist you to conduct your parliamentary business at both indoor and outdoor events within your electorate, such as community fairs, markets and exhibitions.
You may procure a range of facilities and equipment for use as part of a mobile office. For example, you could procure a marquee to provide coverage when you are conducting your parliamentary business outdoors, and other necessary items such as a table and chairs, or the cost of an exhibition booth for indoor events.
Claims for payment should be sent to Ministerial and Parliamentary Services electronically via the Parliamentary Expenses Management System (PEMS). PEMS provides efficient, digital claims processing at any time of the day or night. If PEMS is unable to be used, complete a 'certification and request for payment, office stationery supplies, minor office equipment, ICT accessories, publications and mobile electorate office expenses' form (parliamentarian only to certify claim) and include an itemised tax invoice and proof of payment.
For all items purchased from your annual budget for office expenses, accounts must clearly identify:
- date of purchase
- date of delivery, and
Last updated: 01 September 2020