Skip to main content

Advertising the location of offices

Overarching obligations

The Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 imposes overarching obligations.
The dominant purpose and value for money tests and specified conditions must be met. See s25, 26, 27, 28.
The Commonwealth is not liable to pay an expense or provide a public resource where you contravene any of these obligations (s29, PBR Act).

When you move into an electorate office, whether as a new parliamentarian or when relocating offices, Ministerial and Parliamentary Services will arrange and meet the cost of newspaper advertising of the office’s location. You may also request newspaper advertising when you move into a Ministerial or Office Holder office.


If you are a:

  • Member of the House of Representatives - advertisement of an office location or relocation may be placed in all major community newspapers in your electorate. The publications may include a major provincial newspaper serving the electorate, as well as suburban and rural papers, but not metropolitan daily newspapers.
  • Senator - advertisement of an office location or relocation may be placed in three suburban or rural newspapers as well as in one metropolitan daily paper and a major provincial paper within the State or Territory that you represent.


  • may only be run once at Commonwealth expense
  • must be black and white and contain only necessary details
  • are limited in size to two columns by 12 centimetres (or otherwise the smallest possible size if the minimum advertisement is beyond these limits).

Who to contact

Please email your relevant Ministerial and Parliamentary Services State Manager.

Last updated: 05 February 2020