Skip to main content

Furniture, Fittings, Equipment and Facilities

Overarching Obligations

The Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 imposes overarching obligations.
The dominant purpose and value for money tests and specified conditions must be met. See s25, 26, 27, 28.

On this page

Furniture, fittings, equipment and facilities for your electorate, Ministerial or Office Holder office, as determined by the Special Minister of State, are provided for purposes related to your parliamentary business. They must not be used for commercial purposes.

Some resources are provided by departments for offices of Ministers, Parliamentary Secretaries and Presiding Officers.

Furniture and Fittings

Furniture and fittings must provide value for money, taking into account the need to conduct parliamentary business. The Special Minister of State determines the types of furniture and fittings which are reasonably required for the conduct of your parliamentary business in your electorate, Ministerial or office holder office.

Provision, Replacement and Value for Money

Consistent with the requirement to ensure value for money, an incoming parliamentarian is expected to use the equipment which had been allocated to the outgoing parliamentarian. Provision of equipment may also depend on other factors; for example, size and layout of the office may or may not permit a dishwasher to be installed.

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services is responsible for arranging the supply, repair and maintenance of office equipment (excluding information and technology equipment) and for arranging training for staff who operate the equipment. Office equipment may be purchased or leased. Where applicable, maintenance contracts are arranged by your Ministerial and Parliamentary Services State Manager. You are responsible for ordering consumable items (see - Office Stationery and Supplies).

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services manages a program for replacing equipment when it has reached the end of its service life. Replacement of all equipment has regard to the need to provide you with effective and properly functioning office tools for the conduct of your parliamentary business, balanced against the need to ensure proper management of Commonwealth resources and value for money.

Privately Owned Office Equipment

You may, at your own expense, and in consultation with your Ministerial and Parliamentary Services State Manager, install privately-owned equipment in your office (such as items purchased using your electorate allowance).

To protect the integrity of official networks and equipment, privately owned computer equipment and software must not be installed unless it is stand-alone. Ministerial and Parliamentary Services does not maintain or support privately-owned equipment – you are responsible for ensuring the appropriate maintenance and safe use of any privately-owned equipment in your office.

Last updated: 09 December 2019