Skip to main content

Servicing, fuel and repairs

When you first receive a PPV from Ministerial and Parliamentary Services (MaPS), you are asked to sign a PPV Certification Form that highlights your responsibilities.

For example, you should make sure all drivers of your PPV are aware of the PPV Driver’s Card which is left in each vehicle and has full details of what to do following an accident, as well as information about maintenance, fuel cards, repairs and servicing.

Fuel cards

Fuel cards are issued by sgfleet and provided with the car washing services, but NOT for premium unleaded (unless specified by the manufacturer). The fuel card should be used for payment where possible. The odometer reading must be entered every time the car is refuelled.

If the fuel card is unable to be used (such as because of a technical failure), an sgfleet reimbursement form can be downloaded from their website and returned with the receipt and odometer reading.

Fuel cards must be kept in a secure place when not in use.

Fuel cards must not be used for any vehicle other than the private plated vehicle with which it is associated.

Vehicle condition

All private plated vehicles must be maintained and returned in good condition. To assist with this:

  • scheduled services should be performed when due,
  • any damage should be repaired promptly, in consultation with the contracted vehicle supplier and the vehicle’s insurer,
  • the vehicle should be washed regularly as specified by the manufacturer, and
  • any theft or malicious damage involving the vehicle must be reported to police.

Scheduled servicing

It is your responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is regularly serviced in line with the manufacturer’s warranty (and as shown on the sticker on the vehicle windscreen). This should be organised directly with the local sgfleet associated service agent.

The sgfleet Driver Assistance card has details on who to call for servicing, tyres, windscreens, batteries and roadside assistance.

Returning a vehicle at end of the lease in a sound, serviceable condition assists in ensuring that the Commonwealth does not incur additional charges for excess wear and tear and achieves the best possible sale price when the vehicle is sold.

Car washes

The cost of car-washing services appropriate to maintain the vehicle’s presentational condition, noting the fair wear and tear guidance on the constant use of automatic car washes and any manufacturer’s advice on washing requirements, will be met by the Commonwealth. These costs may be charged to the fuel card provided with the vehicle, or claimed as a reimbursement via sgfleet.


All damage to a private plated vehicle, however minor, must be reported promptly to sgfleet’s 24 hour hotline: 1800 009 082, who will manage the claim.  Any theft or malicious damage involving the vehicle must be reported to the Police.

Details of what to do in an accident are outlined in the Driver’s Card provided with every private plated vehicle.

Insurance for your PPV is covered by Comcover, the Australian Government's self-managed insurance fund, please refer to the current statement of cover for relevant information on cover.

 Please note, there may be a cap on the loan car covered under insurance, the current policy (2020-2021) provides a maximum of $2,100 (inclusive of GST) per claim, capped at a maximum of $100 (inclusive of GST) per day

Tolls and traffic infringements

You are personally responsible for all road tolls, any fines or penalties for the non-payment or late payment of road tolls, and for any administration costs in relation to these, incurred in relation to your private plated vehicle. Toll infringements and administrative fees can be avoided by supplying a personal e-tag to fit the private plated vehicle (these are not provided or reimbursable by MaPS).

Parliamentarians are personally responsible for payment of any fine specified on an infringement notice, other than where a statutory declaration has been returned to the issuing authority identifying another person as the driver of the vehicle at the time of the infringement. Where an administrative charge for processing an infringement notice is levied, MaPS will obtain reimbursement from the relevant parliamentarian.


For access to parking at Parliament House, senators should contact the Office of the Usher of the Black Rod and members of the House of Representatives should contact the Office of the Serjeant-at-Arms.

Please direct any other queries relating to parking fees for your private plated vehicle to IPEA.


It is your responsibility to ensure that persons who drive your private plated vehicle have an appropriate licence and do not use the vehicle for commercial purposes. Commercial purpose is defined as a ‘purpose relating to the derivation of financial gain or reward’ in s5 Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017.

There is no requirement to notify MaPS or the fleet provider of those nominated to drive your private plated vehicle.

Last updated: 15 March 2021