A resettlement allowance may be paid to you on involuntary retirement from the Parliament.
In order to be eligible for the allowance, you must ‘retire involuntarily’ from the Parliament by:
- choosing not to stand for re-election following loss of party endorsement, for reasons other than misconduct, or
- being defeated at an election (for this purpose, it does not matter whether you sought re-election to the same, or a different, House of Parliament, or for the same, or a different electoral division or state).
You must also:
- have been first elected before 9 October 2004 and not be entitled to a retiring allowance under the Parliamentary Contributory Superannuation Act 1948 immediately on retirement because of the deferral provisions of that Act, or
- have been first elected on or after 9 October 2004 and declare in writing to the Clerk of the relevant House of Parliament your intention to seek employment on leaving Parliament.
Should these conditions be met, you will be paid a resettlement allowance equal to three months of the base salary at the rate applicable on the date that the Parliament is prorogued prior to the election.
If you receive a resettlement allowance, you will also be paid an additional three months of the base salary at the same rate as the resettlement allowance if you are:
- a senator for a state and, upon ceasing to be a senator, have served continuously for more than three full years in the Parliament, or
- a member of the House of Representatives, or a senator for a territory, and, upon ceasing to be a member or senator, have served continuously for more than one full term in the Parliament.
The House Departments are responsible for paying resettlement allowance. Any queries relating to the resettlement allowance should be referred to the relevant House Department. Contact details are available to senators, members of the House of Representatives and their employees from the MaPS Help Desks or on the Senators and Members’ Portal on the Extended Parliamentary Network.
Last updated: 30 September 2020