Skip to main content

What can I do if I am being bullied or harassed at work?

On this page

What is workplace bullying?

Workplace bullying is repeated and unreasonable behaviour directed towards a worker or a group of workers that creates a risk to health and safety.

What is harassment?

Harassment generally involves unwelcome behaviour that intimidates, offends or humiliates a person because of a particular personal characteristic such as age, race, gender, disability, religion or sexuality.

How can I access support if I am being bullied or harassed?

You can access support through the Employee Assistance Program provider.

How can I report workplace bullying or harassment?

You can report workplace bullying or harassment by contacting:

What will happen if I report workplace bullying or harassment?

If you report your concerns to the contracted WHS and Occupational Rehabilitation Services provider, they will discuss the situation with you, to ensure that you have provided all relevant information. They will provide a copy of your report to MaPS, who will:

  • contact you to provide additional information on available resources
  • discuss your options for managing the situation within the office
  • discuss the next steps which Finance will take
  • discuss this matter with your employing Senator or Member, and encourage them to address the matter promptly. Usually, the Finance officer who speaks with your Senator or Member will not be the same person who spoke with you.

Generally, Finance will try to assist the Senator or Member and staff involved to solve the issues within the office themselves.  In some cases, external assistance, such as a mediator, or a workplace investigator may be required.

Finance’s response will take into account:

  • the current risks in the workplace
  • previous allegations
  • other indicators that there could be an ongoing risk within the workplace (for example, high staff turnover, or unusual patterns of leave).

Can I make an anonymous report?

Anonymous reports are discouraged.

If Finance receives an anonymous report, including through the contracted WHS and Occupational Services provider:

  • Finance cannot guarantee that anonymity will be preserved if your identity is known or suspected.
  • Finance may have duties to disclose your identity or suspected identity, in order to address immediate or ongoing risks to health and safety within your workplace.
  • Finance’s capacity to act on an anonymous report is likely to be limited to providing general information.

If Finance and your Senator or Member are not able to take specific action promptly, and target it appropriately, you or others may experience bullying again.

What other services are available?

Where appropriate, the Advice and Support Director for your state or territory can arrange professional mediation services or an investigation by a workplace inspector. Please contact the Staff Help Desk if you wish to discuss mediation or an investigation.

Where can I find more information about bullying and harassment?

For more  information about workplace bullying and harassment:

HR support and resources

MOP(S) Act employees can access a range of HR support services provided by MaPS:

  • The EAP provides independent professional counselling service to employees and their families/household. You can call our EAP provider, JLT Assure, on 1800 945 145, email or book online at EAP Appointment Request.
  • NewAccess workplaces is a free and confidential mental health coaching service available to all MOP(S) Act employees. You will be provided with 6 sessions with the coach, with a follow up session at one month and six months.
  • The MaPS website has some useful Resources, including the Workplace Bullying and Harassment Policy.
  • MaPS also has a WHS Library that has a series of health and wellbeing resources including articles, fact sheets and links to websites for information on WHS topics, including: bullying and harassment; workplace safety; self-help and more.
  • It is also open to all employees to contact MaPS directly at or by calling 6215 3333 for advice and support.

Last updated: 26 November 2020