Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 (MOP(S) Act)
- the employment of personal employees by office-holders in positions allocated by the Prime Minister
- the employment of electorate employees by office-holders, Senators and Members in positions allocated by the Minister for Finance
- the power to determine arrangements relating to employment, including travel by staff
- the cessation of employment, including the power to direct that cessation be deferred to a later date.
Sets the employment terms and conditions for all electorate staff and personal staff, including senior staff.
Determinations and directions
Successive responsible Ministers have made determinations and authorisations under the authority provided by the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 to assist in the administration of entitlements of employees.
- Work Handover for Personal Employees - Determination 2008/ Part III/3, 6 May 2008
- Office-Holders, Senators and Members must not Employ Family Members - Determination 2013/12, 23 December 2013
- Employment of Electorate Officers - Determination 2016/15, 5 October 2016
- Private-plated Vehicle List for Senior Staff - Determination 2017/8, 28 August 2017
- Ministerial Staff - Statement of Private Interests and Security Clearance - Determination 2018/27, 27 November 2018
- Direction to Defer the Termination of Employment - Direction 2019/6, 9 April 2019
- Travel and Replacement Staff Arrangements during Negotiations for a new Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Enterprise Agreement - Direction 2019/22, 23 October 2019
- Leave for casual employees relating to COVID-19 - Determination 2020/10, 24 March 2020
- Staff Travel and Relief Staff Arrangements Determination 2020/15, 29 June 2020
- Travelling Allowance arrangements until 30 June 2021 - Determination 2020/16, 26 October 2020
- Discretionary Payments, 5 June 2019
- Increased Travelling Allowance Payments in Special Circumstances, 5 June 2019
- Individual Flexibility Arrangements, 5 June 2019
- Alternate work bases and work from home arrangements for Electorate Officers, 5 June 2019