Responsibilities of parliamentarians, employees, MaPS and IPEA

Last updated
03 August 2022

Parliamentarians, MOP(S) Act employees, MaPS and the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority (IPEA) hold different responsibilities in relation to personal and electorate employees engaged under the MOP(S) Act.


As a parliamentarian you are responsible for:

  • recruiting employees including drafting advertisements for vacant positions and hiring employees
  • entering employment agreements
  • ensuring employees receive a Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS), provided in the new employment agreement
  • ensuring that employment agreements and associated documentation are submitted to MaPS as soon as practicable
  • allocating duties to individual employees
  • nominating employees to take on workplace health and safety (WHS) roles
  • ensuring good employment practices are followed including:
    • induction for new employees (an induction checklist is available in related resources)
    • WHS
    • freedom from discrimination and harassment
    • contingency plans for interacting with constituents
  • taking reasonable care for your own health and safety
  • taking reasonable care that your acts or omissions do not adversely affect the health and safety of other people
  • ensuring you report any potential WHS hazards in a timely manner
  • allocating electorate staff allowance (ESA) to electorate positions in consultation with employees
  • informing MaPS of allocations or changes to allocations of ESA as soon as practicable
  • approving employee leave and training in accordance with the Enterprise Agreement (see related resources)
  • approving employee travel in accordance with the staff travel determination
  • consulting with employees about major changes in the workplace
  • resolving issues that arise in relation to workplace practices
  • terminating the employment of employees in accordance with the MOP(S) Act and other legislative obligations. Before terminating an employee's employment please seek early assistance from MaPS by contacting the MaPS Help Desk.

MOP(S) Act employees

As a MOP(S) Act employee, you are responsible for:

  • your performance and conduct in the workplace
  • your learning and development
  • taking reasonable care for your own health and safety
  • taking reasonable care that you do not adversely affect the health and safety of other persons
  • ensuring you report any potential WHS hazards in a timely manner
  • treating others with respect and courtesy
  • using facilities and benefits provided to your parliamentarian appropriately (for example, not for private or commercial purposes)
  • complying with all relevant laws in the workplace.

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services (MaPS), provides a number of administrative and support services to MOP(S) Act employees, including:

  • paying salaries and allowances
  • placing online recruitment advertisements
  • providing a safe workplace for employees
  • providing certain training for employees
  • maintaining personnel records
  • advising parliamentarians on workplace practices and employment matters (including performance management and termination)
  • advising employees on employment matters.

In your day-to-day work, parliamentarians and MOP(S) Act employees interact with MaPS through the MaPS Help Desk. The MaPS Help Desk is open from 9.00am AEDT until 5.00pm AWST, Monday to Friday.

MaPS also has representatives located in each state and territory capital city. The state and territory offices provide support to electorate offices in each state and territory and also manage the Commonwealth Parliament Offices (CPOs).

Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority

The Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority (IPEA) is responsible for:

  • arranging payment of travelling allowance and administration of travel expenses
  • providing advice to Senators and Members and employees on travel matters.

IPEA can be contacted at or 02 6215 3000.

After body