15 February 2023
Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 (MOP(S) Act)
- the employment of personal employees by office-holders in positions allocated by the Prime Minister
- the employment of electorate employees by office-holders, Senators and Members in positions allocated by the Minister for Finance
- the power to determine arrangements relating to employment, including travel by staff
- the cessation of employment, including the power to direct that cessation be deferred to a later date.
Commonwealth Members of Parliament (Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2020-23
Sets the employment terms and conditions for all electorate staff and personal staff, including senior staff.
Determinations and directions
Successive responsible Ministers have made determinations and authorisations under the authority provided by the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 to assist in the administration of entitlements of employees.
- Work handover for personal employees - Determination 2008/ Part III/3, 6 May 2008
- Office-holders, senators and members must not employ family members - Determination 2013/12,
23 December 2013
- Employment of electorate officers - Determination 2016/15, 5 October 2016
- Private-plated vehicle list for senior staff - Determination 2017/8, 28 August 2017
- Direction to defer the termination of employment - Direction 2019/6, 9 April 2019
- Leave for casual employees relating to COVID-19 - Determination 2020/10, 24 March 2020
- Staff travel and relief staff arrangements - Determination 2020/15, 29 June 2020
- Ministerial staff – private interests declaration, Code of Conduct and security clearance - Determination 2022/23, 5 August 2022
- Government staff – mandatory training of safe and respectful workplaces - Determination 2022/24, 5 August 2022
- Substitution of Public Holidays for Ongoing and Non-Ongoing Employees 23-03, 24 January 2023
- Discretionary Payments, 23 June 2022
- Alternative Work Bases and Working from Home Arrangements, 23 June 2022
- Increased travelling allowance payments in special circumstances, 23 June 2022