Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 (MOP(S) Act)
- the employment of personal employees by office-holders in positions allocated by the Prime Minister
- the employment of electorate employees by office-holders, Senators and Members in positions allocated by the Minister for Finance
- the power to determine arrangements relating to employment, including travel by staff
- the cessation of employment, including the power to direct that cessation be deferred to a later date.
Sets the employment terms and conditions for all electorate staff and personal staff, including senior staff.
Determinations and directions
Successive responsible Ministers have made determinations and authorisations under the authority provided by the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 to assist in the administration of entitlements of employees.
- Work Handover for Personal Employees - Determination 2008/ Part III/3, 6 May 2008
- Office-Holders, Senators and Members must not Employ Family Members - Determination 2013/12, 23 December 2013
- Employment of Electorate Officers - Determination 2016/15, 5 October 2016
- Private-plated Vehicle List for Senior Staff - Determination 2017/8, 28 August 2017
- Ministerial Staff - Statement of Private Interests and Security Clearance - Determination 2018/27, 27 November 2018
- Direction to Defer the Termination of Employment - Direction 2019/6, 9 April 2019
- Leave for casual employees relating to COVID-19 - Determination 2020/10, 24 March 2020
- Staff Travel and Relief Staff Arrangements Determination 2020/15, 29 June 2020
- Travel costs for participation in the Independent Review into Commonwealth Parliamentary Workplaces - Determination 2021/22, 8 June 2021
- Discretionary Payments, 14 February 2021
- Individual Flexibility Arrangements, 14 February 2021
- Increased travelling allowance payments in special circumstances, 14 February 2021