Office maintenance

Last updated
28 June 2021

MaPS state and territory offices work closely with Ventia, the contracted property provider, to ensure your electorate, ministerial or office holder office is properly maintained.

Some office maintenance issues are a landlord responsibility, while others are managed by Ventia. The costs for repairs and maintenance are included in your monthly management reports.

Maintenance issues should be logged with Ventia via phone or email.

Issues may include:

  • air conditioning services maintenance and faults
  • automatic, manual and roller door servicing and faults
  • building services infrastructure: including climate control, sprinkler systems, lifts, fire systems, plumbing and lighting
  • building maintenance including shared building areas such as car parks, stairwells, toilets etc.
  • cleaning: general office, window cleaning, graffiti removal, sanitary bins, etc.
  • communication with landlords, agents, body corporate and other building tenants
  • electrical repairs and maintenance
  • emergency management including evacuation plans, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors
  • flagpole maintenance
  • gardening: general garden and ground maintenance
  • general repairs: carpet and floor coverings, walls, window furnishings, plumbing, ceiling repairs, furniture repairs, carpentry, painting and all other internal maintenance issues
  • lighting: general (changing light globes/tubes) and emergency lighting
  • locksmith requirements (new keys, maintenance and replacement)
  • office equipment repairs including TVs
  • pest control
  • waste removal: general, recycling and secure waste
  • water: boiling and cold water unit repairs
  • whitegoods (repairs)
  • windows: glazing and repairs.

All communication with landlords, agents, body corporate and other building tenants must be done through Ventia, who act on behalf of MaPS.

Logging maintenance issues with Ventia

Maintenance issues should be logged with Ventia via phone or email.

Prepare the following information so that your job can be logged accurately:

  • parliamentarian's office name and address
  • contact person’s name and contact details
  • exact location of the fault or issue, including whether it is within the office or a common area (such as the lift, toilets etc.)
  • exact nature of the fault or issue (please be as specific as possible)
  • urgency to repair the fault or address the issue:
    • emergency (e.g. burst pipe, roof collapse)
    • urgent (e.g. electrical outage, broken window)
    • routine (for general repairs and maintenance).

When job requests are received by the property provider, a work order will be issued to the contractor assigned to the job.

You will receive an email notification with details of the assigned contractor, work requested and the expected timeframe for completion.

If you have any other concerns in relation to your office, contact your MaPS state or territory office.

ICT support

The Department of Parliamentary Services (DPS) provides ICT support and training for DPS issued ICT equipment and services. Contact the DPS 2020 Service Desk concerning:

  • computer facilities linked to the Parliament House network
  • installation, repair and replacement of office information technology equipment (including multi-function printers/devices), software and network infrastructure
  • training for the standard operating environment
  • the purchase, repair and replacement of smartphones, mobile telephones and satellite telephones.

Furniture and equipment issues and repairs

Contact your MaPS state or territory office if you have any issues at your electorate, Ministerial or office holder office with:

  • fixed line telephony issues (i.e. excluding smartphones, mobile telephones and satellite telephones)
  • security panels, duress alarms and programming of access systems
  • office equipment
  • furniture, fittings, equipment and facilities (other than furniture or equipment supplied by your portfolio or parliamentary department)
  • whitegoods
  • post office boxes
  • signage
  • locks or keys.

Postage meter faults and maintenance

For technical and pin issues, replacement ink or tape, contact Pitney Bowes on 13 23 63 and quote the serial number of the machine. Forward the endorsed invoices from Pitney Bowes through PEMS for payment.

Folding machines

For all technical issues, faults or operator issues, please contact Pitney Bowes on 13 23 63 and quote the serial number of the machine.

Emergency Response Management (ERM)

All offices provided under the Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 (PBR Act) must participate in annual ERM audits conducted by the departments contracted service provider.

ERM Services include maintaining evacuation diagrams; emergency response procedures and training of Emergency Officers in alignment with Fire Safety Regulations to ensure, as much as is practicable, the safety of staff within the office.

The nominated Emergency Officer has the responsibility to help schedule and facilitate these emergency management activities as a matter of priority to assist in the event of an emergency.

After body