Parliamentarians are paid a salary determined by the Remuneration Tribunal. Parliamentarians also receive employer superannuation contributions in addition to salary which may be liable to fringe benefits tax.

Parliamentarians employ staff under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 (MOP(S) Act). Staff are referred to as MOP(S) Act employees.

MOP(S) Act employees are employed to assist a parliamentarian to carry out duties as a Member of Parliament and not for party political purposes.

Information on employing staff is available under MOP(S) employment. For targeted advice contact the MaPS Help Desk on 02 6215 3333.

Further information can also be found in the Induction Guide for Federal Parliamentarians 47th Parliament June 2022.

The Guide is a useful resource to assist parliamentarians in understanding their key employer responsibilities and legislative obligations. It also provides information about the resources and support available.