Workers' compensation

Last updated
02 April 2024

PWSS is committed to providing all parliamentarians and MOP(S) Act employees with a safe and healthy workplace and minimising the risk of workplace injuries.

For information for parliamentarians who wish to lodge a claim under the Parliamentary Injury Compensation Scheme, see the related page.

This commitment extends to providing assistance to MOP(S) Act employees experiencing impairment or incapacity arising out of, or in the course of, employment through the timely provision of early intervention, rehabilitation assessments, medical examinations and rehabilitation programs under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRC Act).

Comcare administers and determines workers’ compensation claims for MOP(S) Act employees.

As a MOP(S) Act employee, if you have a work-related physical or psychological injury, you may be eligible to receive compensation under the Comcare scheme, in accordance with the SRC Act.

Claiming compensation

You can claim compensation if you believe your injury or illness occurred at work or was significantly contributed to, or aggravated by, your work. This includes situations where you were away from work, but undertaking work-related business, or travelling for work.

Benefits provided under workers’ compensation

If your claim is accepted you may be eligible for a range of benefits and entitlements including:

  • medical and treatment expenses
  • income support (time off work)
  • death and/or funeral benefits
  • permanent impairment
  • return to work rehabilitation services
  • attendant care and household services
  • aids, appliances and modifications
  • travel costs.

Making a compensation claim

Due to the unique nature of the MOP(S) Act employee framework, contact the PWSS WHS team before making a workers' compensation claim.

  1. Report your injury

If you have sustained a work-related injury, you must lodge an incident report through the self-service portal Skytrust or call 1300 418 288 and inform your manager as soon as possible.

Injuries should be reported whether you intend to make a workers’ compensation claim or not.

  1. Seek treatment and obtain a medical certificate

Seek any necessary treatment for your injury or illness as soon as possible.

A medical certificate stating a precise diagnosis and cause of your injury and how it is related to your work must accompany your claim.

  1. Submit a workers’ compensation claim form

Complete and submit your claim form online through Comcare’s online forms portal.

Alternatively submit your claim form to

A MOP(S) Support Case Manager will facilitate the completion of the employer section of the form and submit the completed form to Comcare for processing and determination.  

If your claim is accepted, you must comply with your responsibilities under the SRC Act. Failure to do so may result in the cessation of related benefits.

Contact Comcare or the PWSS Help Desk if you have any questions regarding workers’ compensation.  

After body